There is a component to getting married, which includes completing documentation (your celebrant will provide for you) plus there are somethings that have to be said during your ceremony.

The Paper work

Before the Ceremony

1) Notice of Intended Marriage NOIM – this must be completed at least 1 month prior to the ceremony date.

I need to sight original copies of;

Birth Certificates or Foreign Passport (if born OS)
Photo ID
Divorce Papers (if previously married)

2) Form 14 Declaration – Stat. Dec.

Immediately following your Wedding Ceremony

3) Certificates of Marriage

a) Certificate of Marriage Requires 2 Witness 18+
b) Marriage Register Requires 2 Witness 18+
c) Certificate of Marriage (Commonwealth Governement) Requires 2 Witness 18+


What has to be said

The ceremony must include, as a minimum the following.

(Once these areas have been included you are free to add anything else you would like)

  1. “My name is Michael Teulon and I am a Marriage Celebrant, I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law”.
  2. “Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.
  3. Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”
  4. “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, A.B. (or C.D.), take thee, C.D. (or A.B.), to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband)”;

For full details lease refer to the following legislation.

Marriage Act 1961

Marriage Regulations 1963